Friday, March 02, 2007

Love: Seventeen Words - No Period

Olga Rudge - 1915I have never found Ezra Pound particularly accessible and much of what I know about his life is sketchy. I do know that he and his companion of 50 years Olga Rudge are buried in the incredibly beautiful cemetery on Isolo di San Michele in Venice. Laurent and I saw their grave on one of our visits to Venice. John Berendt devotes a chapter of The City of Falling Angels to Pound and to his beloved Olga. For me, at least, she is the more interesting of the two.

In 1966 Pound wrote a brief 17 word poem that he requested be placed as the last poem in his Cantos:

          That her acts















Olga’s acts















of beauty















be remembered.































         Her name was Courage















& is written Olga


Says it all really, doesn’t it?

No comments: